April 25, 2009

It's been a busy weekend so far. Yesterday was the annual Kettle Lake Carnival, and it was the first time you attended as an actual student. I couldn't help looking around at the older kids who were grouped with their friends and thinking someday you're not going to want us to come with you. You didn't win any big prizes, but if it bothered you, you didn't show it. I think your favorite prize was the pink jet shaped kazoo you won at the duck pond.

Today was your last day as a Pike. Next week you begin a new session of swim lessons at the Y as an Eel. Your teacher said you were the most advanced kid in the Pike group. You wanted to know what advanced meant.

It was also kind of a dreary boring day. It rained on and off all day, with a few episodes of lightning and thunder thrown in for good measure. Thunderstorms didn't used to bother you really. I've always loved thunderstorms and tried to pass that on to you, but I guess I'm failing. The thunder got the song "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC stuck in my head, so I put it on the radio and you and I rocked out complete with Rock Band microphone and guitar. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we continued to rock out through "You shook me all night long" and part of "Hells Bells". I'm such a good role model.

Tomorrow to counteract your dosage of AC/DC, I'm taking you to church. Just kidding, that's not why. I've been looking for a church that we could attend. You've been to church exactly twice in you life, and I want to do more than that. This is something that I struggle with, because there are so many things that I dislike about church, but many things I like too. I want you to make up your own mind about it, but how can you make a decision unless you've seen both options. I can tell you, I will never force you to go to church, because I think that's the best way to get you to not like it. I want you to be there because you want to be, not because someone told you that's what you should do. That's how it happened for me.